How common is it?
Erectile Dysfunction is a common problem. One in five men older than 20 years of age experience erectile dysfunction. This number increases with age. A man is considered to have erectile dysfunction if he regularly finds it difficult getting or keeping a firm enough erection to be able to have sex, or if it interferes with other sexual activity. Despite this problem occurring so often research shows only 1/3 of men talk to a health practitioner about it.
What’s to know about erectile dysfunction?
Causes are usually medical but can also be psychological.
Organic causes are usually the result of underlying medical condition affecting the blood vessels or nerves supplying the penis. Numerous prescription drugs, alcohol, recreational drugs, and smoking can all cause ED.
Normal erectile function can be effected by problems with any of the following systems;
- Psychological/Mental health
The following list summarizes many of the most common physical causes of ED
Physical causes account for 90 percent of ED cases.
- heart disease and narrowing of blood vessels, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
- obesity and metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- multiple sclerosis
- hormonal disorders including thyroid conditions and testosterone deficiency
- structural or anatomical disorder of the penis, such as peyronies disease.
- smoking, alcoholism, and substance abuse, including cocaine use.
- treatments for prostate cancer / disease.
- surgical complications
- injuries in the pelvic area or spinal cord
- radiation therapy to the pelvic region.
There are solutions
The good news is that there are many treatments for ED, and most men will find a solution that works for them.
- Drug treatments – drugs called PDE-5 (phosphodiesterase-5) inhibitors, hormone therapy
- Less commonly used drugs options include prostaglandin E1 i jections
- Vacuum devices
- Surgical treatments
What to expect when you have an appointment with Melissa
Due to the potential causes of ED expect to be asked lots of questions and you may have tests to arranged to determine causes of the problem. Such test can check for heart problems, diabetes and low testosterone among other things. You may also require a physical examination, including that of the genitals.